Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Week three reflection

The third class began with the lecturer asking for our comprehension of how to complete the assignment two task. It seems that most of us were not sure and confused about the processes we need to do. I think this were the opportunity for us to ask her questions about our doubts so we are on the right track and working towards completing the assignment. I believe that the problem occurred because we were rarely given a task to research online because our previous assignments can be done simply by reading books alone; no need to browse the internet or other software and applications.

Aside from that, we were also given the third assignment during the third week. The assignment required us to do photo editing which is something very unfamiliar to me, but hopefully it would provide me with new and valuable learning experience so I could make use of such skill as I progress towards becoming a better teacher. At first, this assignment seemed similar like the previous one where we had to work in group of five people, but strangely speaking, we had to take apart our old group members and reassemble it with a new one. Fortunately, I do not have to find my group members by myself or beg for any vacancies because the lecturer required us to make a draw. I find this method less time-consuming, less hassle, efficient, and fair to all of my friends. Again, we are arranged by the lecturer to work and collaborate with random people, which I still believe has a positive effect in developing our interpersonal skills, aside from open opportunities to benefit from peer learning from different people of varying personalities. For example, one of my new group member taught me about free application from the internet like flicker, webshots, photowiewer and 21centuryconnections, which are important in the effort to become adaptable with photo editing. I guess we really do benefit if we really have the confidence to seek others’ knowledge and assistance. But the sharing or knowledge should be a two way effort where we do not also contribute information to others, but also receive new ones from interactive discussion and sharing. That way, everyone is a winner and both party are rewarded justly. In my case for instance, as a token of appreciation for my friend to share his knowledge, I taught him about the use of ‘print screen’, ‘alt + F4’ buttons and usefulness of ‘keepvid’ application which I learned from another friend last week, as part of the knowledge sharing effort. Though it is a great idea to learn from others, but it unfortunately at the same time, we find it difficult to find time for discussion since each of us live very far away from one another. I understand that we can also discuss online but the result is usually halted due to lack of face-to-face interactions. Therefore, I think it is better to work with people who are near to us rather than facing such problem.

Honestly, I was very surprised with the allocation of assignment given to us virtually one every week. This was really something I had not expected because during the learning period in Institut Perguruan Ilmu Khas (IPIK), our assignments were handed to us about one assignment to be done in a month where the situation in UM is shortened to a week or two before submission. Things were pretty hectic for me in terms of time management because I usually resort to attempt doing the assignment at the last minute, not to forget that i am also burdened by other assignments from other subjects like Assessment and Technology. Perhaps, the time has come for me to eradicate my laziness or the ‘dark side’ of my attitude and change into a more hardworking and positive personality towards completing my responsibilities as a student of UM and also to work on how to improve myself to become a better teacher.

1 comment:

Jaswinder said...

kamal, i totally agree that with this "Perhaps, the time has come for me to eradicate my laziness or the ‘dark side’ of my attitude....". haha...i think all of us have to do that as there is a lot of work that needs to be done. This semester i really realised that time management is important.