Thursday, August 21, 2008

Week 6 Reflection


Recently, I have encountered a websites which tells me about the importance of video editing for improving children’s learning abilities in the classroom. There is a video, a product of children themselves so I really hope viewers could watch it :D . Here is the link to the website I mentioned:

http://powayusd.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/projects/edtechcentral/DigitalStorytelling/default.htm

From the reading, there comes a realization to me that learners regardless of their age, are beginning to indulge themselves in the latest technological development as to the extend of being able to construct their own videos from scratch and set a course for it so that their reading skills are enhanced. Honestly, it made me feel kind of ashamed to know how much young learners of today have progressed compared to myself in the past and now in the future (I can’t even create my own video, but a child can do much better...I don’t even know how to operate a video camera...so sad...). Therefore, aside from being able to edit photos and audios, it is high time that I merge myself with another more complex skill which was the focus of the sixth class, video editing tasks.


As time flows, some things do change for example like what I have mentioned before, the unbelievable progression children nowadays have achieved. That is why teachers themselves have to step beyond the couch of laziness and divert more effort towards the understandings of the importance of learning and applying video editing in the classroom and its diverse effects towards children’s learning as a whole. Apparently, the internet is like a pregnant entity, always heavily laden with various forms of videos which may contain potential learning aspects. These videos may not be entirely prepared reliable or suitable for learners to view in its original form as they may possess inappropriate, irrelevant and lengthy information for instance adultery scenes. Therefore, as teachers, it is our duty to make careful adjustments and reshaped the original into our favour or create a new one to suit our learning objectives and criteria, provided we are fully equipped with necessary and crucial skills at the back of our fingertip.


Though I was expecting to directly craft a video intended for teaching in the classroom context, I was surprised to know that our lecturer wanted us to develop an uneducational one instead. A bit confused, I then realized that this was an opportunity to make myself accustomed with the basic skills first, before leaping ahead to the real task of creating a video for children. This was also a great chance for me to practice CCTS or creative and critical thinking skills which are essential for adding exciting and wonderful special effects, primarily intended to arouse learners’ interest.


The task set for us was to edit a video from the famous reality show ‘So do you think you can dance’ which I find rather challenging and unpredictable. The focus was the skill of joining and splitting. Luckily it was again a group work task, so I can discuss with friends, each with their very own fascinating ideas. I'm guessing that I could still use the Windows Movie Maker application but I would prefer the Cyberlink Power Director to get the job done as I found that there were more colourful and interesting special effects which can be added to a video. Thus, I hope to create a wonderful video in the future to come..! :D

No comments: