Thursday, August 28, 2008

Week 7 Reflection (Cont.)


During my inquiry and discovery learning, I stumbled upon an interesting article about the use of songs in helping to achieve better and more interesting learning. Sure, the use of songs was common and practiced by teachers over the country and some have already been scientifically proven. But what struck me most was the type of songs used which was hip hop! Initially, I would use the simple and traditional nursery rhymes like 'London Bridge Is Falling Down' or 'Old McDonald had a farm', and adopt their tunes into new educational lyrics. But I would never resolve into using hip hop as an alternative to nursery rhymes due to the loud and 'head-banging' effects it might pose to my future learners.

Even so, my perspective has somewhat changed as the article claims that someone has managed to make a difference by making use of the hip hop genre into the favor of teaching through literacy-based activities. What I read astounded me and made me realize the rationale of using such tune as from what I have observed in the past years, young learners are more prone than ever before to external influence, particularly by entertainment of modern songs from the television and radio, which is due to the national globalization programme; closing the technological barrier among humans. For such reason, hip hop has managed to blend in and make a foothold in the hearts of young learners, empowering their fondness towards the music even more. Therefore, I believe it is my task as future teachers, not to stop this musical manifestation, but to lead and nurture it to the ideals of a more improved teaching and learning experience. Hopefully, this will be another interesting element to be added to my e-book.
J

For more information, please view the link:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/93461/teaching_kids_through_hip_hop.html?cat=33

No comments: